Wednesday, August 3, 2011

a little bit about mats


photo: manduka.com

Yesterday I have noticed that not many students own a mat. A mat is very important for your practice - it helps to make yoga a part of your routine, it's also good to own one for hygienic reason. A good mat is thick and cushions your back if you are rolling on it. It protects your joints and prevents slipping. The market is full of cheap mats. However be careful when choosing one. Most of them will not last one year flaking to pieces - just a thought about the amount of irrecyclable waste gives me creeps. 


So first thing when you are choosing your mat would be sustainability, durability and quality. There are two very good brands that I have tested and that work really well. One is Jade and the other is Manduka. However brilliant, they are they are all over £45.


I have tried many mats and found my perfect mat that will last a lifetime. Although not everyone is ready to spend £80. It is the Rolls Royce of yoga mats, by far the best quality mat you'll find... This mat is great for studio practice as it is heavy - over 3.5kg - so carrying it around on your shoulder may get you an injury! I would rather go for eco lite version or travel mat if I were not practicing so seriously.


Anyway, give it a thought, and if you want me to help with buying your mat (as I can get wholesale discounts) just drop me a word.


Will see you all next Tuesday. Keep practicing!

No comments:

Post a Comment